Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Welcome to 30 days of blogging!

Oh wait - It's February... make that 28 days.

It's been almost two years since I've signed up for a Nablopomo. Nablo huh?

National Blog Posting Month.

To explain what that is exactly I'll borrow a snippet from their webpage.

Welcome to National Blog Posting Month! National Blog Posting Month is the epicenter of daily blogging! People who want to set the habit of blogging by doing it every day for a month, including weekends, can come here for moral support, inspiration, and the camaraderie that only marathon blogging can provide.

1. What is National Blog Posting Month?
Essentially, it's a group of people who have committed to updating their blogs once a day for an entire month.

2. But why is it called National Blog Posting Month if it happens every month?
The whole thing started off as a goof based on National Novel Writing Month, the challenge of which is to try to write an entire novel during the month November. Not everyone can commit to an endeavor of such magnitude, though, and so National Blog Posting Month was born. However, after doing a November NaBlo for a couple of years in a row it seemed that a lot of people had found their momentum and wanted to keep going into December and beyond. So now NaBloPoMo is something you can drop into any month of the year, though November is still the biggest month, and is the only month when members donate prizes that are then given out randomly to other members who posted every day in November.

So now that you know what it is, let's get started!

February's blog theme (every month has a theme) is CHARACTER.

What a word! Multiple definitions instantly come to mind and I've decided that exploring as many of them as possible is going to be one way to help me get through posting every day this month!

Human or personal character is, in light of the recent events with my family, the definition that first comes to mind.

Here are a a few definitions from Dictionary.com that relate to the human condition.

char·ac·ter   /ˈkærɪktər/ Show Spelled
[kar-ik-ter] Show IPA

–noun
1. the aggregate of features and traits that form the individual nature of some person or thing.
2. one such feature or trait; characteristic.
3. moral or ethical quality: a man of fine, honorable character.
4. qualities of honesty, courage, or the like; integrity: It takes character to face up to a bully.
5. reputation: a stain on one's character.
6. good repute.
7. an account of the qualities or peculiarities of a person or thing.
8. a person, esp. with reference to behavior or personality: a suspicious character.
9. Informal . an odd, eccentric, or unusual person.

As much as the baser parts of me want to go on a rant about the lack of character I've been on the receiving end of I've decided - or rather remembered - that I have the choice to be a victim of my circumstance or I can be a VICTOR over them and I'm choosing the latter.

There are so many things you can do to build good strong character, things you wouldn't even think of as being 'character building'.

Take blogging for example. Even though I am a creature of habit and structure there are times and things that I have trouble being disciplined with. One of them is what got me into blogging to begin with!

Keeping a diary or journal!

If I look though my storage room I've no doubt I'd pull out no less than 6 journals. All started, none kept up with. I'd start a diary, write every day for a month or two then completely forget about it. Six, seven months later I'd remember - 'Oh crap! I'm supposed to be journaling!' and I'd go buy another book and start all over again. I have diaries and poems from the last 10-12 years and every so often I'll pull one out, read a little, shake my head at the place my life was in at that time then thank God for how much I've grown and how far I've come.

And although I've been greatly remiss in my blogournaling (blogging+journaling) in the last year I have, for the most part, been much more successful with this medium than I have written word.

So back to how blogging can build character! For me personally it has been a great tool for personal growth as well as discipline. (I promise all 28 days won't be this long!)

Speaking of long - this is getting rather lengthy so I'll wrap it up with this;

Personal Growth: I love writing, but I hate writing - so blogging provides an avenue for me to express myself, work through my thoughts and feelings and process events in my life that, without 'putting it out there' would just sit in my soul and fester. In other words - blogging equals a healthy way to clean out the gunk.

Discipline: Nablopomo means blogging EVERY SINGLE DAY for an entire month! So it helps me with keeping commitments and sticking with something I may be inclined to put off until later. In other words - blogging equals sticktoitiveness.

And I know that is totally not a word but I think you know what I mean ^_^

So - Nablopomo Day 1 accomplished!

Hasta mañana

0 People who coughed on a furball: