Support & Appreciation


Previous Musings

Look Who Stopped By

Monday, May 26, 2008

Cowabunga... Dude!

So about 15 minutes after we (me, my cousin & her little girl) got to Gulf Shores a storm moved in. After having driven well over an hour to get there we decided to hang around and see if it would pass. Thankfully it did and we enjoyed a great rest of the day frolicking (read-being beaten to death) in the waves and soaking up the sun.

I'd never been to Gulf Shores before, having only had the MS Gulf Coast to compare to and let me tell you it was fantastic. Clean white beaches, clear blue-green water and waves. Lots of big beautiful frothy waves. I had more fun that I've had in ages trying to dodge getting pummeled by the waves as they crashed over my head.

It seemed that many others had the same idea. You could look up and down the beach and see people facing away from shore waiting for the next wave to come in, then you'd see them jump as the wave came barreling toward them. Most of the time you could just float through it and it was a blast, but if the wave crested just before or as it reached where you were standing you could fully expect to get a full salt water facial.

My cousin and I were like little kids jumping up and down in the surf. We also were super excited to see some surfers. Granted the waves weren't like anything you'd see in Hawaii but there were quite a few buff bronzed boys brandishing surf boards. Oy!

Here are a few pictures of the guys catching (and losing) some waves. You can click on the pics to enlarge them.









We felt like we were in our very own version Bay Watch, except the guy who was on duty to save us was no David Hasselhoff. Although I'm not sure that's such a bad thing!

1 People who coughed on a furball:

Anonymous said...

Nice! Looks like fun!!!